Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014 - Will I blog more than twice this year?

Well, it wasn't one of my New Year's Resolutions to blog more, but considering what my only NY Resolution is, blogging just might make it more doable. Because my resolution is to make this year The Year of the House; that's right, a colossal home-improvement project. Daunting! Just contemplating the scope of It makes me feel like I need a cigarette, and I don't smoke anymore... As for the glass of wine I'm drinking, it's doing nothing to stop the terror of the mere IDEA of it.  After all, I am only one person...

But wait!  I am one person and I can do what I can do!  OPTIMISM TO THE RESCUE!

According to Lu, my son, you can totally fix up your house if you take it a room at a time.  One week per room. In one week, you can clean out the junk, paint the walls, and rearrange / complement your furniture, or can you?  In my case, maybe not.  But 2 weeks sounds feasible!  On a 2-week-per-room schedule it will take 28 weeks to fix up the inside of the house, plus another 8 weeks for the outside (facade, patios, garden, garage), coming to a grand total of 36 weeks - 9 months, the time span from conception to birth.  

How appropriate!  How symbolic!  But just in case, let's even give it another 10 weeks for unexpected setbacks.  Let's say that my home-improvement project will be a done deal by Guadalupe Day (Dec. 12th), 2014.  Can I live with that deadline?  I'll tell you in 2 weeks, after the first room is done... or not.

Assuming that I am indeed going to do this, I would say that the room most urgently in need of improvement would be the downstairs bathroom.  It's just got to go.  However, in view of the fact that this is January, the month when money is at its scarcest, and in the belief that hurdles are best surmounted if you start with the easiest, it might be better all the way around if I let the first room be the study, which would only involve cleaning out the junk, rearranging the furniture, cleaning and painting the walls, ceiling, and window frame.  I should be able to do that in 2 weeks with minimum cost, right?  Wish me luck!


3 comments:

Theresa in Mèrida said...

The internet ate my comment! I hate when that happens.

What I do when I redecorate is remove all the furniture from the room and then shop my house.

My love seat has been in the entry and the living room, now it's in the terraza. I have had my breakfront in the entry, in the dining room, in the living room and now it's in my studio waiting to be painted and put in the master bedroom.

I have sold furniture because having less stuff rather than more seems to look better to me right now.

You can do this, the more time spent planning the easier it all will be. I realize that I am not known for my planning and forethought, but it is true.

regards,
Theresa

Theresa in Mèrida said...

Minshap,

My best advice is to remove everything from the room. Decide what you want to do with the room and then shop your house for the furnishings.

My buffet has been in the dining room, the entry, and the living room Now it's in my studio waiting for me to paint it and move it into the master bedroom.

While I am not good at planning and forethought, I know that every minute I spend planning will make the job easier.

regards,
Theresa

minshap said...

Theresa, I just found your comments in the spam section!!! That's why it's taken so long for me to respond. And you know what? That's exactly what I decided to do!!!! I had brought home some boxes because I just thought, okay, the only way to do this is to take EVERYTHING OUT and then see what I really want to put back in there! I really love your term: "shop your house" for what you are going to put back in there... thanks for your very timely and USEFUL comments!!!