Sunday, August 9, 2009

Back to Reality

After a trip like I/we had, it's a dose of reality to be back to your regular life. First there was a plane trip and a whirlwind stay with family and friends north of the border, during which I:
Got my driver's license thanks to my Dad, who lent me his car and was a good sport about sitting and waiting for me for two hours while I took first the written, then the practical driving tests. Of course, he did get to sit in an air-conditioned room with the newspaper and a library book, so I guess it wasn't too hard to be patient. And since I passed the test, that must have made it all worthwhile, right?
Ate some fabulous enchiladas with my parents and sibs one afternoon (made by my Dad!)


YUMMY!


Saw the beginnings of a house my cousin is having built by her sister's husband who is an architect!





House going up in the woods!

Witnessed the moment when my mom received the most lovely news from my sister!



And what a surprise that was!

And just enjoyed my stay to the max!

Then it was on the road and living in the camper and traveling south to places I've been before, lived in before, and seeing people I've missed and wondered about, and spending money and trying to find ways to beat the heat, and having the van looked after, and looking after the dog on the road, and eating the most scrumptious food during the whole two different trips (and coming back to find that I've gained 2kilos because of that) and swimming in seas and cenotes and looking for rivers and river-rocks (and bringing back a whole bucketful of river-rocks) and helping Lu move out and move in, and swinging in hammocks, and sleeping in hammocks when the van was too hot to consider a sleeping place...


We took lots of pictures, but in trying to choose the best ones, I get too wishy-washy! Here are some the ones I like best:

ON THE ROAD



the 'Bajada a Orizaba'








Trying to get out of a parking lot after filling the tank and making a pit stop




Licking her chops!






Fruit market by night!












Under a shady tree on a rest stop next to the ocean






Approaching the tunnel












In the tunnel!



THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL!








CLo and Bella playing ball...


















Getting some shade...






Just before sunrise...




Just after sunrise!






Dzit-Nup - paradise beneath the ground we walk on...







Talking things over at the edge of the ocean




SIESTA!






3 comments:

IdaRose said...

FANTASTIC. SO GLAD YOU WERE ABLE TO HAVE SUCH A GREAT VACATION.

Alex said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time! It is always a good thing to spend some time with family and friends, it renews your soul. Also, one learn to appreciate home too, after being on the road for that long -or at least to me- it is always a relief to get home and relax after all the "relaxing days" if that makes any sense!!
Saludos!

minshap said...

Mom: thanks for making the first part so wonderful!!!
Ale; yup, a wonderful time, and now we're back and our other party just got in (at 3 a.m.) and there are even two new puppies that have moved in with us... uh-oh! So much for relaxing!