Friday, November 7, 2008

How bilingualism works in this relationship

When I came to Mexico thirty years ago, I didn't speak a word of Spanish. Well, I could say "gracias", and "baño", and maybe a few other words, but that was about it. I thought I was going to "pick up the language" while I was there, but I was three months into my traveling around before I met people who didn't speak English and weren't really intent on trying to practice what little they knew. (My future husband was one of those people, though he didn't figure into my life in a personal way until two years later).

When I began learning Spanish it was like this: I accepted an invitation to live for three months (the rest of the time allotted to me on my visa) with a family in Mexico City. The young people in the family consisted of three sisters and 4 brothers. We would talk one-on-one with a dictionary between us and we'd get the main gist of our conversation by using keywords which would be looked up in either Spanish or English depending on who was thinking of the word. Once the meaning was clear, the conversation would continue in Spanish. English was a reference for me, but not the language of expression in any conversation. And I wanted it that way.

I jumped into my life in Mexico and there were no ifs ands or buts about accepting everything - including the language. I didn't want to speak English. I wanted to speak Spanish. I wanted to feel that I was really Mexican. Now I realize that it's a natural human longing to feel accepted by the society in which you live and that's probably why I was so determined to speak Spanish and adopt many new ways of acting and reacting, new perspectives on old issues; in short, I was able and willing to become a new minshap; I'm not kidding - many people have actually told me something to that effect, like: "you're sweeter in Spanish". Or, "you seem so different when you speak English".

In addition to the above, once I began really hanging out with my partner, he probably wouldn't have seen the relationship as something to be pursued if I had insisted on English being part of the deal. And in fact, I should mention from the start that one of the things that originally impressed me about my partner, was his vocabulary. I was eager to learn the language, but being an expressive person myself, and having a large vocabulary which I love to make use of in English, I yearned for a good model for increasing my Spanish vocabulary. The first time I listened to my partner expound upon an idea that came up (by then I was speaking Spanish "más o menos" as they say), I fell in love with his eloquent use of words.

So that was my side of how we began. On his side, I've always known that one of the things he loves most about me is the way I could become part of his world and not drag mine into it. This is not to say that I don't bring my views and opinions and ways of doing things into our lives on a constant basis - of course I do this. But I do it without expecting him to swallow all of it in English. I do it in his language. And I know that many of those US-isms spark up, enliven, give food for thought, and generally refresh our relationship all the time.

Thus, a pattern emerged from the beginning. Spanish was the language we spoke to each other. And we were pretty puritan about it. I couldn't stand not being able to find the word I wanted to say in Spanish and would badger him until I got the precise word, or I would interrupt the conversation to get the dictionary and look it up. We didn't do things like say a whole sentence in Spanish with one word in English interjected because there was no Spanish equivalent. There was always a Spanish equivalent!

But that was then. That was before our kids came along. Then there were new dilemas to contend with. I wanted to speak English with them, and did so to a certain extent - especially with fned, who was a toddler when we went to live in the US for one year. But when we came back to Mexico and Lu was born, I was living with my MIL and she didn't speak English. So I spoke more and more Spanish with my kids and it kind of became the language at home for them. Whenever I wanted to speak English, they would insist that I switch to Spanish and for many years I did.

Fifteen years ago, I began teaching English where I now live and work. Although I'd been teaching English all along for the previous 15 years, this was the first time that I spoke the language so extensively throughout the day. In my present working environment, I speak English with most of my colleagues and always only English with my students, in or out of class. Somehow, this started to spill over at home, and culminated in my writing an article in the school magazine about bilingual families. By then, my kids were growing up and actually WANTED to speak English. They were starting to have bilingual friends and realized that English could actually come in handy. So, I started speaking English with them more and more and lo and behold, my partner started to get in on the act!

Of course, he's always been able to speak some English, but his accent is pretty exaggerated and he tries to get away with breaking as many grammar rules of English as he can. But nowadays, we often throw in English expressions as we speak. Sometimes I feel that my Spanish has suffered from not being used so constantly and because I've relaxed about trying to find a way to say EVERYTHING in Spanish. Nowadays, if I don't find the word I'm looking for, I have no compunction about saying it in English and expecting everyone else to just "get it" in English.

LINKS TO THIS POST: GROUP BLOGGING on bilingualism in expat couples

13 comments:

CancunCanuck said...

Great post, very interesting to hear from someone who has been doing this a lot longer than I have. Raising bilingual kids is certainly an important topic in our house, thanks for sharing how you created such fabulous children!

I think it's very interesting that your partner jumped in to English so late in the game, who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Fned said...

Ah mom, aside from this being a great post on Bilingualism in the couple I have to admit I love it even more because it gives me such a great glimpse at those first years of you and Car's life together. I have always sort of wondered how you guys met up and communicated (I mean, I know the story of how you met up and I KNOW you spoke Spanish by then but basically how you decided which language you'd speak between you guys).

Thanks for posting this.
Love ya,
Fned.

Nadya said...

I definitely understand the "have a conversation with a dictionary between us". Story of my life.

christine said...

Really interesting! I love that you stuck to what you wanted to speak each time. And it's good to hear that the kids wanted to speak English later even if they rejected it early on.

These posts are all so fascinating!

minshap said...

CC - speaking of bilingual kids, I'm going to post the article I wrote a few years ago... I'll do it soon. Could be very interesting for you in your situation.
fned - as if you didn't know all that stuff!!! And you KNOW how Car hates English grammar... it would have driven me bananas to have a relationship with him full of bad grammar LOL.
nat - dictionary conversations can give you a true sense of accomplishment when you finally get through the topic. I remember once having a dictionary-based conversation on a single topic that lasted almost 3 hours! WHEW!
Chris - ditto to you what I said to CC. I think you'll be interested in the article... it was fun writing it and I learned a lot, from other bilingual couples, their kids, my kids, my husband... very interesting.
IN GENERAL: this issue never seems to get resolved. I sometimes have my fears that in the future all languages will evolve into one, but it won't be spoken the same way by any two people! SHUDDER!!!

Ritamae said...

Minshap - I'm finding all of these posts very interesting. I actually wrote a paper once about 25 years ago speculating that all languages and cultures would meld into one eventually and how sad that would be. I sincerely hope that never happens. The world would become way too boring without such diversity in it.

minshap said...

oh ritamae - nice to see you here again!! I see that you've had the same concerns that I've had about the future of all this language mixing! One of my friends - German Mexican said her father set times of the day that a certain language would be spoken (they also speak French) and he was very strict. He wouldn't allow his family to switch languages during the scheduled times, and switching mid-sentence was absolutely prohibited. He explained to them that it was the only way to ensure that they developed the vocabulary and syntax of the two languages equally well. My friend says she's so grateful that her dad was like that and that's how she's tried to be with her own kids, who are fully bilingual too. I think it is a wise move, but not always easy to stick with. One thing I do know though - if you start going back and forth in the languages, it becomes a habit and it really stunts the full use of either language. I once hung out with some hispanics in Texas, and that's how they talked. I thought it was so cool and started doing it, but a few months later, I realized that my brain was getting super lazy. I was mutilating both languages and it didn't sound so neat to me any more! I had to break myself of the habit and it was hard. I hope these new generation bilingual couples take that into consideration and don't let it happen to them. The more you blend languages, the easier it is for cultural characteristics to be phased out.

deedee said...

I loved reading your post. I haven't been consistent about speaking in english to my girls and wondered what effect that was going to have on their future bilingualism. I am thinking though, that one day they will want to use their english more, I am starting to see glimpses of that with my ten year old, now.

minshap said...

poppyfields - right! Once they have the desire, it's a cinch! Glad you commented here... I'm about to put up the article I wrote about bilingual families. It's right up your alley! Stay tuned...

jonnifer said...

Great story and so cool to hear about Fned's linguistic roots! Can't wait to see the article.

Emily said...

Very interesting! I know what you mean about getting lazy and just fully mixing languages - I often feel like I've started to lose my English in favor of Spanish, so I can see how always speaking Spanglish would cause me to lose some of the finer points of Spanish as well.

It's nice to hear that your kids wanted to speak English, I've heard so many stories of kids who don't want to speak the "other" language and miss out on the opportunity to become bilingual.

Anonymous said...

muy interesante artículo! He tenido la misma experiencia con extranjeros que me han gustado y a veces es muy difícil comunicarte, pero después de un tiempo, y ya cuando hay amor todos los problemas de comunicación se resuelven jajaja.
Muy muy muy interesante en verdad, conozco muchísimas familias bilingües en México, es agradable que cuenten con ambas lenguas los hijos, demasiada ayuda para un fututo mejor. Joselyn Quiroz

minshap said...

Gracias por el comentario Quiroz. Sé que has viajado algo y ya te diste cuenta de las diferencias entre una y otra cultura, y por supuesto entre los idiomas. Es verdad que con el amor, todo se puede, aunque bien recuerdo cuando mi hermana mayor me dijo, "No te cases con él! Los matrimonios interculturales no duran."
¡Cómo ha cambiado el mundo!