Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Day 1 - 2008 - New Year - New Blog - Same Me

So after everyone went to bed when the New Year had been ushered in - and in certain cases, that meant at 12:03 a.m. - I sat in the living room and listened to my thoughts for awhile. And my eldest daughter's words kept getting into all of them: "you should start your own blog!" (see

http://fnedsblog.blogspot.com/). And of course now, today, I've forgotten all those unique and insightful thoughts I had at 1:00 a.m. and it's the first day of the year and of course I MUST have something in my head to write about!


So we'll start there - writing. A self-description would never be complete without including the fact that I'm a writer. As in: I write. Always. Since I learned how to hold a pencil, spell words and write them down on paper. Because, the truth is, I love words - the sound of them, the way they look on paper, how they stream through my mind. I am a complete believer in communication as an ongoing. ever-onward approach to bringing the world to sane living and maybe even an eventual utopia of sorts.


Of course, on the other side of the coin, words can be vituperative too! (see http://www.answers.com/topic/vituperative for definition). Situations in which people don't agree with each other and become angry and vituperative put the whole above-mentioned idea of communication in tremendous jeopardy. But even in the face of such risk, I would say that, unless you live your life completely cut off from other people (and I don't really see how anyone could survive for long without interactive contact of some sort with others, as you know if you've ever been seriously alone for an extended amount of time) - you simply HAVE TO communicate in order to survive.


Communication was the major theme underlying all the things I was thinking about during my inner-self chat in the wee hours of the morn. I suppose this is tied to the fact that I am an English teacher/translator living in Mexico, completely absorbed in highlighting and shedding light on the meaning of words between people of different languages. You can imagine how fulfilling my job is to me! I love words and communication - and I also love LANGUAGES! Exchanging thoughts and ideas in Spanish and turning them into English (or vice-verse) simply enhances what we already carry around in our minds and invites us to vary our perspectives and reach conclusions we may otherwise not have been able to see - which is what Communication is all about, right?


Okay back to the subject at hand. Here's the point of this - my first - blog entry: It's a new year, and I'm ready to move onward (don't really have much of a choice, but I'll ignore that for the moment), and though I may not be a clairvoyant, I am an optimist and I believe in communication, and I am always looking at things from both sides, so I am ready and willing to do my part to make 2008 be a good year, but I guess the crucial question is whether WE CAN ALL work together to make it happen? Here's wishing the best to everyone for a COMMUNICATIVE, RECIPROCALLY UNDERSTANDING, and NON-VITUPERATIVE new year!
Among other things...

No comments: