Saturday, September 26, 2009

How to stave off the screaming meemees

Have you ever been stuck in a place and not been able to move from there, and thought about all the things you could be doing at that moment if you didn't have to be stuck there? That's what I call a situation that gives you the screaming meemees. And that's the kind of situation I'm in right now! Here I am at a conference where I was hired to interpret. All the participants are working on entering their results in English and Spanish into various computers. They don't need my services for that, but I have to remain here in case they do need some help in some way. So I'm going bananas, wishing I had brought my German book so I could catch up on the exercises I still haven't done, or brought the book I'm about to start (ArrĂ¡ncame la Vida) so I could subtly get in the first chapter, keeping my book hidden on my lap under the desk where I'm sitting. But then, my partner said, "Well, if you can't stand just sitting back and relaxing, you can always use the computer." AND IT'S TRUE!!!! THERE'S A COMPUTER RIGHT HERE!! AND IT HAS INTERNET!! So here you have me blogging away, staving off the screaming meemees and hoping to come up with something good to blog about.
Okay, I'll tell you about this morning. It's Sam's b'day you know. He's now 16 years old! Unfortunately, we're broke, so I didn't get him a gift (though I'm hoping to use my last change money to get him a moka cake on the way home from here), but at midnight last night, I realized that I could draw him something! Yes indeed! So I got up at 6, made some coffee, fed the dogs, got my drawing pad, in preparation to draw - um, draw WHAT???? Oh no! What to draw??? Luckily, my coffee was super hot and a deliciously sweet (it was instant so I'd put some brown sugar in it; otherwise I can't stand instant coffee) so I started walking around the silent downstairs floor of the house, sipping on that hot coffee as I glided through the semidarkness, looking for something I wanted to sit down and draw for Sam. That's how I came upon my guitar standing in the corner of my bedroom. It looked absolutely perfect - it's position, the shadowy spirituality of it! Could I capture any of that? How exciting, just to try! I sat down on my bed with my drawing board and paper, my drawing pencil and my trusty eraser. It took me almost 2 hours, but they were two of the most satisfactory hours I've ever spent, and the best thing of all was that I heard Sam himself coming downstairs just as I was doing the final shading and signing. He liked his gift and I liked that lovely merging of self and emerging shape on paper that transports me from the mundane to the sublime!
Oh isn't this perfect! The participants are finishing with their files, and I'm finishing up here! Catch you later with a posting of the photo of the drawing I did for Sam (and maybe the cake too!).

2 comments:

IdaRose said...

How lovely to be able to draw! And at such a perfect time..Sam's 16th! As I asked Sam..can't wait to see a picture of him at this great age! So..I'm looking fwd. to seeing his "gift" and also seeing him! What a great birthday!

Love & Congratulations on your son's very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

~M/M~

minshap said...

M/M, well, I wanted to post a picture of Sam on his 16th, but he was against the idea... I'll have to wait until I get a good shot of him without making him pose for it!