Sunday, September 27, 2009

If at first you don't succeed...

... Try, try again! Isn't that how the saying goes? So, yesterday, I spent so long on my drawing for Sam, and I was so proud of it when it was done, and he seemed to like it although he did tactfully mention a couple of flaws with it, which I myself had also noticed. I told him that in general I felt good about it though, and I had no more time to dedicate to it, as I had to go interpret at the conference so we left it at that, and I thought that was the end of it.
But later, I returned from the conference, and, in the course of the day, asked CLo if she'd seen the drawing I gave Sam, and when she said no, I wondered why he hadn't shown it to her, but I went and got it and showed it to her.


She oooohed and aaaahed over it and basically stroked my ego. But later still, I asked Anto what he thought and he was brutal in his criticism. The neck was too short, the bottom was too wide, the curve was too-curved, and there was no shadow, or light... WOW!! Suddenly I was embarrassed, that I'd given it to Sam as a gift! And since Sam agreed with all his views - though hadn't wanted to hurt my feelings by saying so earlier - I decided then and there to try to fix it up. I took back the drawing and worked on it for awhile. Then showed the results to the critics. Anto continued to see fault with it, and we sat together looking at the real guitar, and my drawing. He pointed out what he meant, and I saw that he was right. So ONCE AGAIN, I started erasing, and re-shaping... Finally, I finished it, to my satisfaction, and showed it to CLo and to Sam, who both thought it was muuuuuuch better. But I still wanted to see Anto's reaction, and had to wait until today since he was out late last night.
I wish I had a picture of his face when he saw it! His eyebrows went up, his eyes got wide, his mouth made an "oh" and he said, "WOW"! He liked it...


Okay, it's true, I erased so much, that I practically ruined the paper, but ended up using chalk to cover the marks and that had the added advantage of providing the shadow effect!...
So check 'em out: BEFORE and AFTER

2 comments:

Fned said...

Loved them both mom, the first one looks like what a nice Picasso painting of a guitar would have probably looked like, strange in shape in form but still capturing the essence and beauty of the object.

The second speaks more about the mood, the ambience sorrounding the object. Adding the shadows and the contrasts gives it another angle, likes it's less about the guitar and more about what's around it.

They almost seem like a set, instead of the same drawing.

Fned.

Alex said...

what I see is that you have talent and disposition to learn and both are basic! practice practice practice dear Minshap! do I know that... I carry a little sketchbook in my purse and whenever I have a chance, like when I am waiting at a restaurant of an office or my son is not trying to get on top of my head, I like to sketch things around me... it is a nice exercise!
I do love your guitar, you just gave me an idea for a new painting!