Wednesday, September 2, 2009

ART - being its own reward

Can you believe it? I finally started taking an art class... it happened so coincidentally, so spur-of-the-momentishly. I was walking down the street in the small town of Cholula and heard some lovely music so I walked toward it. Suddenly I happened upon a storefront that was wide open and who should be sitting in the middle of the space but a whittler! Now I've always been interested in whittling, so I stopped to watch him and also to listen to the music as it was reaching its peak. Naturally, my eyes wandered around the place and it was full of paintings of all sorts. Eventually I looked up at the Marque of the entrance and saw the sign over the door: "Artes Plásticas", "clases individuales". So I asked. The man said he works one on one with anyone who feels that they want to paint/draw. His method is not to lecture and drill, but to sit the person down with the necessary materials and put them to work painting/drawing the project of their choice. "Do you want to paint?" He asked me. "Do you really want to?" YES, I said. "Okay, that's all I need to hear. If you really want to do it, then you will do it, and I'll help you!" There and then we made a schedule for my classes and I made the decision for the type of painting I would do - a landscape in pastels.
My first class was choosing the landscape and getting started. Each class is two hours long and there are two classes per week. It took me three classes to bring my first work to conclusion... what do you think?



I had just finished my painting when some people I know organized a drawing session with a live model. They invited me and I jumped at the chance. That was the most awesome experience I have had in a looooong time! I cannot describe the powerful thrill of drawing the human body as you are looking at it. I felt as though I'd been transported to another reality where my brain was almost disconnected and I was all eyes and hand as the sketch came to life. I'm not saying the result deserves a place in a gallery or a museum or any kind of public recognition, but still, I feel so good about the drawings I did that night. So here is one of them: what do you think?

6 comments:

Alex said...

It is fantastic!!! your pastel drawing is beautiful Minshap! I really like your approach, when you want to do something, go and do it, you might discover something wonderful ahead. I am sure you already found out what a joy and how relaxing it could be to paint/draw. I take lessons too, started with acrylics but then decided to try watercolors and I do love it! even just talking about this, reading your blog entry makes me so excited! Good for you dear, keep the lovely work going! (you need to frame it and hang it on your wall huh?)

minshap said...

Oh Ale, you've read my mind! My painting is at a carpenter's shop geting framed at this very moment and will be ready on Saturday! I'm afraid to try watercolors, which seem difficult to control; what I've been trying to do since last class is put things into perspective, just using pencil or charcoal - quite a challenge for me! You should take a picture of your art and post it so I can see!

IdaRose said...

I'm so excited to know you are framing your art work! Also, really proud of you..you are very talented. Can't wait to see your next painting! Hint: We have lots of wall space..sure would be nice to hang some paintings!!

Love You..

~M/M~

Anonymous said...

Min, very nice art. You have talent so don't get sidetracked. Life drawing is a challange and I think your nude is very well executed. Keep up the work. Dick

minshap said...

IRS, nice to know I've got support! Thanks for your faith in me!
Dick, you can't know how much your words mean to me - coming from a true artist!! Thanks so much; funny that you termed it "work" - when I'm actually drawing something that takes shape, "work" is only a perfunctory element embedded in the pouring out of myself and the drinking in of something I can't even define... HOWEVER, when I'm drawing as an exercise in the crucial need for perspective, THEN I understand the meaning of work!

christine said...

I came by to take a peek. I love your painting, the bright beautiful colors are wonderful! I also love the story of how you came to take the painting class. I'm happy another fellow blogger is painting and drawing :) We can keep each other motivated.