Saturday, December 27, 2008

Birthday Reflections

Okay, this is - in part - about my birthday.

My sister put it beautifully - she called this birthday the double 5. I like that reference to dominoes! If you play the way my Dad and grandfathers taught me to play, that's a pretty important "rock" (domino lingo for 'piece' or 'tile')! The double 5 is worth 10 points, or a dime, if you're playing for money.

So, getting back to my birthday, I'd say it was definitely a 10 in terms of quality... Everyone who really means something to me remembered me in some way on my birthday. Even people who had no need to do so wished me well, without my having said a word. To tell you the truth, I felt truly cared about and quite touched!

As for birthday traditions, however, I admit that I still haven't made the birthday cake! But I'd say tomorrow will be a good day for that, in order to have something homemade to offer when 3 out of the other 5 of my darling wanderers get here! Just hoping for safe trips for everyone and can't wait to see you all tomorrow night (and talk by phone to the ones who can't be here).

Oh and come to think of it, we should definitely play dominoes while everyone is here!!

BUT WAIT! The birthday reflections don't stop here! They didn't use to call me "Little Eddie" for nothing!!! What about Poppy Day??? NOW THAT'S A BIRTHDAY EVENT TO BLOG ABOUT! Dad, this one's for you!

I suppose most people would say a person born on Dec. 25th has got to be special. And that would certainly be the correct assumption when applied to EBS, who is such a very special person.

Here's a man, who, at the incredible age of 84 years young, is still the kind of man who thinks fast, has no fear, and saves the day!! (Remind me to tell the story of the RAT sometime). I am so proud to be the daughter of a man like that! I've lost count of all the things he's helped me - and my family - through, from lending a car, to signing papers, to lending money, to helping buy a house, to making phone calls to clear up, find out, or get information on a million different issues, to lending support in all sorts of bureaucratic procedures from drivers licenses to passports. And then there are all the family things he does for everyone, from questions on tax issues, to organizing picnics, poker games, a night out for Tex Mex or ice cream, to hunting down and killing gigantic cockroaches and contributing great Chanukah gifts (back in the days when working with a wholesale toy company was just about the best job a dad could have in the eyes of his growing daughters!).

A really special man is my Dad. And from what I heard - sorry I couldn't spend the day with the birthday boy in person - he celebrated in his favorite style in the company of his favorite person! So, just wanted you to know "Dear Old Dad", how much you are loved and admired by your kids and grandkids. Here's wishing you the best in the year to come and hoping to see you soon!

2 comments:

IdaRose said...

This is Poppy & I just finished reading your beautiful blog on my birthday, and I am at a loss for words to describe my feelings for your wonderful thoughts of me and the relationship I have with you. G-d bless you and keep you safe and healthy in the coming year. I look forward to all of us being together again..(maybe April)? Sending you lots and lots of love.

minshap said...

Oh Dad: just got back to this and saw your comment. Being a daughter and being a parent certainly give one an all-around viewpoint of what being a good parent/good child means. I know I was never the model child, and I'm sorry for all the grief I caused you because of that; you, however, are the perfect model of a father to be looked up to. I hope my kids find me - as a mother - as worthy, if I ever make it to 84!