Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Other Side of Woe - as in WHOA!

So there I was, making the big realization that what was bugging me so was simply a case of the blues. I took a good hard look at myself, my dissatisfaction and my anxiousness to GET AWAY FROM IT ALL, and I realized that just insisting to myself that I was going to do it was actually contributing to my panic. Of course it would be lovely, but how would it be in my case to make two separate trips back-to-back over the space of three weeks... that would be three weeks of no pay... that would be a two-week family road trip, followed by a quick solo plane-ride to visit my family in the States for another week. I mean, since when am I rich enough to do that kind of traveling? Since when can I "have my cake and eat it too?" Since when can I just blow off work at a time when we are trying to encourage more students to enroll?
With a sigh and a shrug, I thus resigned myself to the fact that I was being stubborn and blind to the truth. I decided that, okay, I wouldn't push so hard for these trips...we'd see how things developed. Meanwhile, why not watch a movie!

Funny that Fned's recent blog talks about a time when we lived with almost nothing in the way of possessions and money, yet still had constant and almost cost-free access to unlimited cable channels on TV. And it's true that we watched lots of movies (see her blog for the details). At any rate, I realize now that perhaps that time in my life was the beginning of my insatiable hunger for movies. And last night, it all hit home as I began my search for a movie.

Now I have all my movies - VHS and DVD - in one place, but that does not necessarily mean they are easy to find! So as I stood before the bookcase, letting my eyes travel over all the visible titles, I suddenly understood once and for all how I could keep track of where each one is. All I have to do is NUMBER THEM!!! Why didn't I think of that before??? So I started then and there (at 12:30 a.m.) to do just that! And I got as far as the first 50 VHS tapes.

You might think I could surely have gotten farther than that, but then you don't realize that these 50 black-and-whiters were taped for me by my mother over the years... each has at least 2 if not 3 movies recorded, and of course you need a magnifying glass and patience to decipher my mother's thoroughness in labeling each tape... she includes the dates, the times, the movies, a commentary - i.e. "really good!" - and if she has taped over something (she gets good use out of her cassettes) you have to figure out which are the current movies... or you have to realize that The Josephine Baker Story of Chanukah is really "The Josephine Baker Story" taped over "The Story of Chanukah"... but it was a lot of fun going through them, and don't they look nice all lined up with their little numbers on them? Can you see the numbers at the tops of the boxes?



But that was just the beginning. My own tapes, the 100 or so I've recorded over the years, are still stacked on the floor!...




And of course those are the tapes that I recorded at home... but you can see that I've also bought a few movies over the years, and though they may look orderly, they are not in any order, so I've still got to pull them out and record all the names and put numbers on them and put them back...


Which I thought would be a cinch, until I looked at the larger scope:


So yes, I've started to number the tapes, and will follow with the DVDs, recording the numbers and titles together in a list that I will later feed into the computer, and posting the reference numbers at the sides of the shelves where the corresponding videos are... but as I write this, I realize I've got a looooooooong way to go...


And knowing myself as well as I do, I'm laughing at this whole thing even as I write it!! Dream on, Minshap! Dream on!

12 comments:

IdaRose said...

OMG.. "WHOA!" IS RIGHT!.you mean you CAN read my writing? Too funny! And, I can't believe those VCR tapes are still playing! I may have to take a page out of your labeling system!

Hope you get ALL your movies done soon, and wishing you many more happy hours of watching & eating popcorn!

Fned said...

I am suddenly craving a Corazon Salvaje marathon!

Fned.

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Loved the comment about mom's writing!!!!

IdaRose said...

NONE:

You would!!! :)

minshap said...

well you'll be pleased to hear that I've gotten more tapes filed away during the week; maybe this weekend, I'll finish the job??? As to comments on mom's writing, I'd just like to add that, because of technical difficulites in reading the box panels, I've never even seen some of those movies - not sure what's on there and the only way to find out is to take your chance!!! And sometimes, when you've decided to chance it, you get up to the climax of the movie, and it CUTS OFF!!!! So much for tape programming... Still, when I'm in for a surprise movie, I always choose one of mom's tapes, and getting to see gems like "All About Eve", or "Notorious" all the way through is well worth the missing out on ends of "Father Goose" and "Houseboat".

minshap said...

oh Fned, forgot to mention that you can now see Corazón Salvaje at our place on DVD!!! I converted them!!! MYSELF!! can you believe it? The commercials are still in the ones that had them, though you were remarkably good about cutting them out when you could during that whole taping marathon, but at least on DVD you can speed through them quickly, and anyway, they're good for historical value - seeing a newsbreak of what was going on in 1994 can give you food for thought. Oh and of course, we kept the tapes, just in case.

Alex said...

om! I used to watch corazon salvaje too!!! I loved it. Now I don't watch soaps anymore...
You have a HUGE collections of DVD's and tapes!!! and I thought my father had too many but nope! at least I beat you have better selections than my dad's macho flicks ;)

minshap said...

Ale, I thought I had at least a thousand, but now that I'm counting them, I think it will turn out to be less (haven't finished). Hmmm, macho flicks - are those like James Bond? or Bruce Willis? We do have those, but we also have an impressive selection of 'chick flicks' and they definitely get more play than the macho ones! As for soaps, no comparison between US soaps that last forever and Mexican (or other Latin American) telenovelas, that have a beginning and end and hook you for a 3-month ride. Definitely prefer a telenovela! Although, like you, I've stayed away from them since my last big love affair with corazón salvaje. One thing about soaps/telenovelas: because they're so slow and dramatic, they're useful in helping you learn a language!

Anonymous said...

You're right about US soaps never ending. I've been watching All My Children for 35 years (YIKES!) and still no end in sight for all their problems!!!!

minshap said...

None: WOW! can't believe that soap's still on!! Can you still watch "...like sounds through the hourglass, so are... The Days of Our Lives"????? Wonder whatever happened to Julie?

Carmen (: said...

I bet you just did it to write this blog, mom... hahahaha

love you much :)

CLo :)

minshap said...

verry funny CLo. Or maybe not so funny at that... would you believe I still haven't finished??