Saturday, May 21, 2011

My sister's art


Bird of Paradise by Mar

I would like to say something about my sister Mar.  She's an artist.  One might not think of her as such upon meeting her.  She's a businesswoman - quite a successful one actually - and she comes across as being totally organized, self-directed, efficient, in control and well-spoken.  She's super intelligent of course, and she's naturally a high-achieving workaholic.  In spite of all this, Mar is also an artist. She loves her art, which is quilting, and yet she doesn't get grand-scale recognition for it, which always amazes me because as you can see here, her pieces show dedication, an eye for detail, appreciation and understanding of color and cadence, creativity and love of beauty, and the joy in putting it all together. 
When I look at Mar's art - I have a quilt of hers on my bed too - I feel that I'm part of that pattern; dedication envigors me, my eyes zoom in on the detail, I am immersed in color and attuned to cadence, imagination consumes me, I'm open to beauty, and suddenly I come together in the joy of being who I am. 

Inside  Infinity


2 comments:

IdaRose said...

OH...loved your current blog. Mar's art is beautiful..I love all her art that I have. So it was great reading..but then I scrolled down and read your other blogs, and what a nice morning I've had! Do keep all your writings...they are wonderful. Loved your mentioning Gr. B...she's been on my mind as her yarhzeit is approaching..it always falls on Shavouth! I will tell you she loved her granddaughters..all 6 of them! Thanks for your blogs..I always, always enjoy them. Love You...~MM~

minshap said...

Thanks MM; trying to get back into blogging more often; there's always something worth blogging about; it's just a question of having enough self-discipline to think it through and blog it!