Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pack rat packing

Well, today we took down 4 bags of completely useless stuff.  I'm still working at it... got one box and another on the way.  In some places, I can see clearer space now, very uplifting.  The thing is, I'm trying to get all this "spring cleaning" done before Fned's visit.  Last time she was here, she threw out 7 huge bags of stuff - she assumed I didn't need - and for months afterwards, I would be looking for something only to conclude that it was one of the unfortunates considered worthless by her.  This time, I'm determined to be the one who decides...
But it's not easy to make the decision.  Take today.  I moved stuff around, tried to put the stuff I'm thinking I should toss (but not quite willing to totally give up) waaaay out of sight but still keep it.  I felt kinda foolish, stooping to such a trick, but my motto is: when in doubt, stash, don't trash.
So as of the end of the weekend, what do I have to show? 
  • Two boxes of papers and books - final destination unclear 
  • A large bag of wires and cables - final destination unclear
  • Two large bags of clothes and blankets to give away
  • One cleaned-off spare bed
  • One cleaned-off window seat
  • One cleaned-out hutch drawer/cabinet (but bookshelves above still cluttered) 
  • Two cleared-off desks
Sounds good, but there's still a long way to go... need to get more boxes!

2 comments:

Fned said...

I didn't throw out 7 bags. I threw out 37 (as in THIRTY SEVEN bags). Yeah, anything missing afterwards was certainly in one of those.

Then again.... you guys survived.


Seriously though... glad you're doing some "spring cleaning" of your own. It always feels so good to start with a clean slate.

And my motto is: "if you haven't remembered about it in 2 years, chances are it isn't as close to your heart as you think it is"

:)
Fned.

minshap said...

now that's what I call an exaggeration!!! 37's my favorite number, but it's not the amount of bags... I heard from another source it was 12... anyway, better get to work or you'll be back here cleaning me out of house and home!