Sunday, June 5, 2011

Packing up - a pack rat in denial

Yesterday I was substituting at one of our schools and I noticed they had a lot of boxes - the kind that all the printer/copier paper comes in.  So I asked the coordinator if I could take some home, and he had no problem with that; he only wanted to know why I wanted so many of them.  I told him I was packing, and he asked if I was moving.  I said, no, not moving, just packing to get stuff out of the way.  He asked why I didn't just get rid of stuff I didn't need - and there I was:  face to face with my own "pack-rattency". 

I tell myself I'm not so bad.  I know of others who are real pack rats... Still, when you get to the point where every room in the house seems cluttered, no matter how often you move things around to make space, you know you're in the danger zone.  But here's the thing.  I don't really want to throw things out.  I just don't want them to be in the way.  I want to know that at any given moment, I could go find the respective box, open it up, and see/touch/revive, etc. the things I don't need precisely at this moment. 

Today, I started going through stuff.  I actually did throw things away, or at least they are in bags ready to be gotten rid of.  In throwing away those things, I made room for others that can now be stored.  I still have the boxes, which is good because there's a long way to go yet.  But for one weekend, I think I did well.

To be continued...

No comments: