Saturday, April 5, 2008

Wrong Information

OOPS! Just realized I gave give out some wrong information! Our school is going to be starting with some intercultural events, and I mentioned the big Blogger Meetup as a possibility, but I said it was scheduled for October, when in fact it's just around the corner! I wish I had read it right the first time (and unfortunately, haven't gotten back to reading about it in quite awhile), but either way, I won't be able to be there, much as I'd like to since it sounds so interestingly neat! All these people --Mexican and non-Mexican-but-living-in-Mexico-for-one-reason-or-another -- getting together for a meet-up on Isla Mujeres... the perfect place - though can it accommodate all the influx, I wonder?? Guess it's a lot more modern today than last time I was there in '78 - CAN THAT BE RIGHT??? Has it really been 30 years? We must have gone there at least once when our kids were young... didn't we?

Going to Isla Mujeres was something we did in the natural course of events when we lived in Cancun in '78, working and getting to know each other (and getting pregnant with fned)... before there were hotels in the hotel zone (well there were 3) and when the Convention Center was this mostly empty construction with a few places opening up (I wonder if Tucan Tar is still there, where we once played music...) or Agusto's Pizzas, where the young guy who managed it for Agusto (and was later replaced by Car) had a pet Tiger!! Cancun, where we lived on the outskirts near the highway to Puerto Morelos in a sort of "shanty town", which reminded me of the times in 19th-century US when lots of people in search of work just set up house haphazardly in order to be part of the railway construction underway, that's how it was... all these families coming in and setting up house so they could work doing all the building around Cancun... and we were the "lucky" ones with non-hard labor jobs... but we still came home bushed because working in the recently inaugurated though sparsely populated Hotel Zone meant working from 7:00 a.m. to midnight and beyond... that was how you made money on the tourism that was just getting started.

Is Visusa (travel agency) still there? That was the first place I worked, but only for about a month. I also taught English, and worked as a babysitter At that time, I remember how I taunted Car for acting like a jealous macho when he predicted that the Ice Cream Parlor Owner who asked me to babysit his kids would try to seduce me... that was, until the day said ICPO suddenly came home from work early (his wife was a doctor in the clinic and usually got home before he did), went into his room, and then called me for something. So I left his two little girls coloring in their coloring books, and went in, and there he was in his underwear, looking at me with sad, pleading eyes! I couldn't believe it! I stood there in the doorway, frozen to the spot, having no idea what to do or say, but wondering if he had any idea how BAD his timing was? His darling daughters right down the hall, his wife coming home for lunch! How could he??? I mumbled something about how now that he was home, I was going to leave and walked out, never to return.

Luckily, the next day Car finally convinced Agusto to let a female work in the Pizzaría so I was soon working again in a whole other scenario. But one morning, after working all night at Agusto's, then cleaning up, making the journey back home and walking into our rented room as the sky began to lighten, I found a note stuffed between the windowframe and screen near our bed. It was from the ICPO, saying he was sorry, he hadn't meant to frighten me off. Wouldn't I consider coming back to work for them?
And of course Car STILL HOLDS THAT "I TOLD YOU SO" OVER MY HEAD whenever we disagree in our opinions of someone's character...

Now that I think about it, maybe that was my first intercultural blooper! I mean, how is it that I absolutely did not see that coming??
Okay, hope the blogger meetup includes some intercultural bonding...

8 comments:

Islagringo said...

After getting your comment about the blogger meeting today, I thought I would visit your blog. Very well written! I think your expectations of the meeting are higher than anybody elses' though. There will only be 20 people attending. And they are all from the Yucatan peninsula and Belize. Still, it should be a lot of fun. (I sure hope so because organizing it has been a nightmare!)

My Way said...

That was a great story!

Keep em coming!

Theresa in Mèrida said...

oh, fned commented on my food blog about pizza night being a tradition when she was growing up because you and Car worked in a pizza parlor when you first got married. It sure is a small world.
regards,
Theresa

Fned said...

How is it that I NEVER heard the ICPO story???? Jeez mom...... :)

Fned.

minshap said...

Wayne: thanks for your positive observations about my blog (and let's face it, compared to your blog, which shows commitment and dedication, mine is more like a combination of rambling ideas and big lapses of writer's block). And yes, I am optimistic about the expat meet - and excited, and full of anticipation. I'll be checking out how it's going, so hope people will find a moment to blog together that weekend - with pics and everything! Sure do like the lodging arrangements you came up with btw.
mexway: okay, will do.
theresa: I looked up the pizza entry in your cooking blog and, after reading fned's comment, which of course is true and which you now know the why of, I stopped to check out the site in general, and I gotta say, I saw some veeeeeeeeeeeery inspiring dishes on that cooking blog. I can't believe you really cook like that! Impressive!
fned: oops! But on the other hand, did you really expect me to tell you a story like that when you were an impressionable teenager?

Fned said...

Mom... I haven't been a teenager in almost 10 years!!! :)

Fned.

minshap said...

Be glad you didn't know before; think of it as your mother sparing you from - as one of my fellow teachers would say - TMI (too much information).

Theresa in Mèrida said...

Minshap, I have always liked to cook and now that I am retired,I have time to cook. There is a big difference between cooking because you like it and producing meals. When you have a job and a family, you have to produce meals daily. Also I don't cook every day, and I don't cook elaborate meals every day. Since I am (sigh) overweight, I can only afford to consume so many calories so they had better be tasty ones! Welcome back to the blogsphere. I took a vacation from it too.
regards,
Theresa