Monday, October 13, 2008

For my Mother on her Birthday

Time moves. Whether you understand that to mean that time itself moves, or that time moves us, the fact of the matter is that from one moment to another, things change. I like to think that Life is a circle. You can look at Life however you want, but I see it as being circular. So that as time moves, it takes us around and back to ourselves. (the wheel of time?) We may go around more than once. The circle may become concentric or expanding, but we are always going round and round.

So, let's look at the number 80. That's a pretty circular set of digits. There's the zero, the big one, and there's an eight, which is made up of two circles. Is there any divine meaning in the number 80 with reference to Life then? Perhaps not. Maybe the meaning is more symbolic, the number for today. Because today, this very day - the meaning is clear: Happy 80th MOM! This one's for you.

The circles in the number of your years make a lot of sense when I think of you Mom. The two circles in the 8 symbolize your movement as wife and mother. You can draw it as two separate circles, or you can draw it in zigzag fashion, like two "s"s back to back. In your case, I'd say definitely zigzag, because you've always managed to keep us all intertwined. Back and forth, to and fro, we all move around and with each other. As we've grown with time, the zigzagging lengthens out and slows down, but it always unites and seamlessly comes together, and that's how I see you Mom; a woman who has always united the parts of her life into a perfect unit of completeness.

But wait - do you think I'm assuming that a woman only exists as wife and mother? No, no! Don't forget the big 0. The circle of Life! That one goes around and around, as we travel around inside it. In my Mother's case, it goes smoothly and with grace and balance. That's the Libra in you Mom! And the circle itself is HUGE! It has always tended to expand rather than contract. Your zest for life has kept you from limiting your circle. It's made you open to learning, becoming, enjoying new experiences, and to encouraging others to learn, become, enjoy new experiences, and applauding us when we do!

It's hard to put into words all the love and wonder I feel, how blessed I know I am, whenever I think about my mother; how I relish the fact that she is my mother. From the time I was little, I always knew she was a special mother. And today, I must say, after listening to my kids' reflections on the topic, that there's definitely a ripple effect: "Mom-ness" effortlessly expanding into "Mimi-ness"!

So here's to you Mom. I am so thrilled and honored to be here with you and my Dad and my sibs on your 80th to celebrate all our love for you and our best wishes for a wonderful, happy happy birthday!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

merveilleuses paroles Mindy ,
vous pensez si juste ! beaucoup de maman aimerait recevoir un pareil hommage , felicitation, il n'y a que de l'amour dans vos lignes , bravo !
helene

MiMi said...

Thursday...only proved time went by too fast. I had THE MOST glorious birthday EVER! All because my 3 wonderful, beautiful, caring daughters were here with me & hubby, and treated us to surprise after surprise! I felt such complete "one-ness" with my family, and only wanted to hoard more time together. After your great 80 tribute, I realize the 80's are going to be special!! Thank you for being YOU! Dad & I enjoyed every moment together with you and your sisters! My memory bank is filled with wonderful scenes that came from the laughter and love from the weekend just spent together for my 80th birthday!! I love YOU...MoM/MiMi

minshap said...

Helene: Merci beaucoup! C'est très facile d'écrire au sujet de ma mère. L'amour guide ma main !
mimi: oh yes, that's the bonus of having a wonderful time together - getting to think back on it and smile at the memory! The pictures too are a great help!

Fned said...

Pictures? did someone say pictures????


Fned.

MiMi said...

Hi fned...check with your Mom..there are tons of pictures. She's good at sending them. So I'll let her do the honors!!! I am noticing how it's too quiet around here now!!

Love Ya..