Saturday, October 18, 2008

Pictures by request

The trip was lovely so here are some pictures!

First Jeanne picked me up at the airport and we went to Lulu's Jailhouse Cafe. She'd heard they have the best homemade southern cooking, and they sure did!



Note those huge chicken fried steaks, the mashed potatoes and fried okra - not to mention the homemade rolls!!! WHOA!



After stuffing ourselves and still having to ask for doggie bags - how could we ever have finished all that food? - I told Jeanne I was going to need a nap so we found a place along the highway where a river runs through, spread out a blanket and got some shut-eye under a shady tree...




It was very nice, but in the end, we had to check out that water and it was cold!! DELICIOUSLY COLD and crystal clear. The picture doesn't do it justice, but I couldn't take any pictures when I was actually in the water. This was right before we decided to change into shorts and jump in!



After the swim, we continued the way until we arrived at the rendezvous point with my sibs and went to see Drew play in his band! They were really rockin'!



And we rocked with them in our own fashion!!





Finally we got to the home of our wonderful padres and naturally, one of the first things we had to do was sit down and play some Mah-Jhong! (spell it anyway you like... this is the way I spell it!)



The next morning we were up early and decided to get in some exercise before going to our cousins' house for lunch.



It was a good thing we did take that trek... Lunch was out of this world!!



And we even got in a good cousins picture!!!



The next day was the big birthday bash! It started with some earings...



From there it went on to all sorts of gifts until the birthday girl was just surrounded by gifts!



But then it was time to get ready for the surprise lunch, and was it ever FABULOUS!We had arranged a lunch at the hotel where Mimi first worked 60 years ago. The hotel was so impressive. Mimi says it's changed a bit over the last 60 years! Here you can see the entrance to the dining room (I had the buffet and it was all so mouthwateringly delicious...)



Guess there are no pictures of our meal, because we were too busy eating it! However, we did get this gem of the birthday girl blowing out her 80th candle on a couple of yummy eclaires!


8 comments:

IdaRose said...

OH...thanks for the memories!! We did have a great time, didn't we? Birthdays can be fun!!

Love ya'll...MiMi

Fned said...

Love, Loved, LOVED the pics!!!! I blowed them up each one by one and must have had such a big goofy smile on my face that André asked me what was the matter? hehehehe....

Mimi, I LOVE your hairstyle!! So chic!!

Aunt M and Aunt S you girls will have to give me your secret someday to always looking so young and gorgeous!!

Poppy: What a handsome couple Mimi and you make in that picture at the hotel!!

Mom: You look awesome in those pics, specially the one by the river!! Whoa!! *wolf whistling*

Love y'as all!!
Fned.

Alex said...

I feel kind of nosy (metiche!) commenting in this family post, but it is so lovely!!! One can tell you had a blast! :D Saludos!

minshap said...

idarose: hey, like your new name! I forgot to mention about the DVD viewing! will put that in next blog.
fned: thank ya girl. Putting up those pics was quite a trip in itself. I spent a looooooong time on that! but I'm glad you blew up each pic because you see the details with much more clarity.
ale: welcome girl. No problem. I checked on your darling boy last night and was glad to see he's looking FINE.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting all the photos and the commentary...it's the next best thing to being there! Sounds like you all had a blast and made Mimi's day!!!!!!!
Love.....ruth xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ruth!
its the next best thing to being there
I wish we could have make it :/
I love you all


and mom: you did look awesome by the river!!!

lots of love:

CLo

Anonymous said...

PS:
*with

haha

CLo (:

Anonymous said...

Great job, Min! It was a really fun time...the pics. take me right back. Sure miss the "mahj."! Let's don't wait so long for the next reunion!
Love ya :)