Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Oil and Water - an exception to the rule

It's raining! I wanted to write a post about the oil spill and the whole terrible disaster of BP in the Gulf. But the sound of the rain has captivated my attention so it's water I'm going to talk about instead. I'm sitting in front of a huge bare window, knowing the rain is pouring down yet unable to see it clearly in the evening twilight.

And that's the unexpected perfection of this moment - Sitting all alone in the silence of this building at dusk, listening to the rain in surround sound. I'm only barely able to see and smell the rain, but the stereophonic volume of it heightens my feelings, and that in turn intensifies my powers of listening. It sounds like velvet. It sounds like an important message from God pouring down to be deciphered second by second, drop by drop. It sounds like fresh things coming and joyous celebration. It sounds like the story of a secret wish coming true. It sounds like tears brimming and overflowing the eyes that have experienced loveliness beyond description.

It's raining - without thunder or lightning - the best kind of rain. The kind that comforts and promises and makes you hope for a night of it, for the chance to fall asleep to the sound of it's drenching quenching devoid of malice.

The rain started exactly when I started to write my blog, but just think if it hadn't! I would have written about the oil spill. I would have said that it's horrible to think what is happening there, all those millions of gallons of oil gushing into the ocean. I would have said I've been feeling the pull of that annoying kind of guilt you feel when you ignore something you know needs your attention, because I have been ignoring the whole issue, because I couldn't bear to think about it and know that another day was passing with no solution in sight, because it took one of my students bringing up the subject to open my eyes and make me look at what's going on, and read about it, and mull and ponder over things I can do to help.

And in fact, that's how I came to sit down here and blog about it! But now look! It's raining! The rain has washed away all my good intentions to blog about the oil spill. Still, there is something I can do! I can pass on to you this blogspot link where you can read about a certain group of people spreading information and taking action positively. Now THAT'S what I call blogging about the oil spill! Just copy and paste this link: http://casa-catherwood.com/disasterinthegulf.html

Meanwhile, I'll consider myself lucky to have been here for the rain! It's allowed me to mix together - for once, if only in a blog - oil and water.

2 comments:

Fned said...

Yayyyy! Glad you're back!!!

minshap said...

ditto to you!! I noticed you were back the day I wrote the last one. Shivery how we synched it.