Sunday, May 24, 2009

Excerpt from a Saturday morning chat

Last weekend, I was chatting with None Other. We chatted about the day-to-day, about work, about the weekend ahead, about the week behind, about our kids, about our ideas, and then, when we were about to say good-bye, I dared bring up the following:
min dice:
so you wanna hear something strange?
Stace dice:
yes, what's up

min dice:
I was thinking about putting it in a blog, but I don't want to go through all that kind of writing so soon after the last one!!!
min dice:
but it was interesting too...
stace dice:
i'm all ears.
min dice:
This morning I got up and it was cold, so I put on Car's zip-up sweatshirt, which I keep hung over the chair near my bed... just cause I like to see it there... but today it was cold, so I put it on...
min dice:
immediately I felt like he was with me - it made me feel so good, but I knew it wouldn't last, so at the same time I started to feel sad... I asked him to please be with me today...
min dice:
just then, there was a tapping on the outer gate (people here tap their metal keys against the grate to announce their arrival)
min dice:
so I looked out and it was the gas-guy... you know we buy our gas in tanks - gas for the house...
min dice:
so I went out and he said he thought we might need a tank and we actually did! I was glad he was there, but I knew he was going to ask about Car...
min dice:
then he did ask, and when I told him, these tears just came right out of my eyes... I couldn't believe it... I guess because I felt that he had really gotten to know Car, and when his face expressed sorrow, it was real sorrow...
min dice:
anyway, I got hold of myself, but what was so neat was that right away we got to know each other... he told me he would come around every other saturday to see if we need gas...
min dice:
which is very nice... cause gas trucks come by all the time, but Car always only bought with this guy... but I was rarely around to do the transaction since their agreement was on Thursdays.
min dice:
In fact, he said he had only come by this morn, because he came on Thurs but no one answered...

stace dice:
that's so incredible - Car WAS really with you

min dice:
so in the end, I felt that Car was really with me!
min dice:
EXACTLY!

stace dice:
oh min just cut and paste (or whatever you do!) and this is your blog. you wrote it so perfectly!

min dice:
really?

stace dice:
oh YES
stace dice:
it's so real, just exactly as you felt it

min dice:
well maybe...

stace dice:
i mean, if you want to share. i just love the way you wrote it - words right out of your mouth
stace dice:
i totally believe in those things
stace dice:
i'm glad you keep his sweatshirt nearby.
min dice:
oh good! me too! But I thought it might sound morose or something.

stace dice:
and i love the story with the gas guy. it made ME feel better!
min dice:
oh good!
min dice:
so do you really feel his loss?
min dice:
that's the thing, I feel like a lot of people never really knew him, so they can't really feel his loss personally...
stace dice:
yes, even though i don't think i knew him that well, certainly not in the everday sense, i feel like i knew him through you. does that make sense?

min dice:
yeah... it does...

stace dice:
and i feel like i knew your relationship, even tho i'm not even around!

stace dice:
so, it makes me sad, too
stace dice:
i guess what i'm trying to say is that i do feel your loss

min dice:
but the thing about feeling someone's loss... be careful when you say that.

stace dice:
oh, i know i don't feel a fraction of what YOU feel.

min dice:
because you don't really feel MY loss.. you just feel it for me because you imagine yourself and how it would feel for you, which would probably feel totally different!

stace dice:
exactly
stace dice:
i feel the loss of "min and car"
min dice:
OH THAT'S A GOOD WAY TO SAY IT!

min dice:
what a loss that is!!!
stace dice:
amen, sister
min dice:
but Min's still here, so I guess he's kinda still here too, since he's part of me...
stace dice:
that's just what i was going to say min is still here and there's a lot more to come for you!!!!

min dice:
anyway, it's been a good chat, thanks sister mine, and catch ya later - I'm determined to finish with that whole video library cataloging...
min dice:
during translation breaks!
stace dice:
good luck and talk to you soon.


So I did finish cataloging... and the weekend went on, and so did last week, with more and more interesting events making me sure that I am still here and Life does go on, and he knows it too, and is with me for as long as I need him to be... but, did you notice how None and I practically "owed each other a coke" every other line??? Can you tell we're sisters??? Amazing...


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my...you did put the whole conversation on like I suggested! It is amazing, in reading it back, how in sync we were with one other! I still get chills just thinking about your experience. I'm a true believer!
Love ya, sis!!
S :)

minshap said...

I know, and would you believe it, I was chatting with Marce (about something else) and later with Mom (about something else again) and that kind of thing kept happening, you know, where we just echoed each other's thoughts... at the rate we're going, we'll all owe each other enough cokes to have a party the next time we get together! But I wonder if the reason it happens so much in e-chatting is because we can follow the threads of our ideas more quickly by seeing them written down...

Alex said...

oh Minshap, I believe what happens is that you have a close bond, connection or whatever you want to call it with the people you love, I think it is amazing!!!!
Your experience was quite moving, hermosa en realidad!!!

minshap said...

Ay Ale, a million thanks for your words. I hope you're right about having close bonds and connections because I really think the connections you build up with people are a big part of what makes life worth living! Gracias!