Sunday, May 31, 2009

Promise Muffins - a way to end procrastination?



This morning, I got up realizing we had no bread. However, we had all the makings for some hearty oat 'n' almond muffins. So, I microwaved some leftover coffee and got to work... (that's the last time I do that, even if it means I have to waste coffee; it was absolutely vile the second time around). Anyway, as I was putting my muffins together, I wondered what I would call them. I like my concoctions to have a fitting name before I put them on the table! Two weekends ago, my sons had gone to bed not speaking to each other, so I got up and made Peace Muffins. They liked them of course (who wouldn't? They had chocolate chips!), but more importantly they made up. As soon as they knew they were eating peace muffins, they couldn't be angry with each other anymore.
So this morning, with each turn of the spoon around the mixing dish, I thought of all the things we had said we were going to do today, and I realized that what I was making here were Promise Muffins.

They may look like ordinary muffins, but if you eat one, you're committed!!



And the muffins were great! We each had two. With cream cheese! Delicious. But then, I really started to look at the promises I was faced with for the day!
For instance, I had said I would get that avocado tree planted. But I also had to get a translation done. But I also had all those videos lying around waiting to be put back on the shelf in their new order... but what about lunch? I had said I would cook today... and what about preparation for classes tomorrow? I needed to do some paperwork on that!

Well, the muffins must have been full of their own promises to me, because here's the recap:

I got to work on the translation and finished my morning cuota.

Then I went out and dug that hole,


and by the time I was finished, Anto and Sam were more than willing to help me bring the tree over, cut off the plastic bucket, make sure the hole was big enough...





and transplant it into the ground!


We watered it



and coaxed it into standing pretty, making a nice bed of earth around it.


It's raining now, a nice, soft rain... hope the dear thing likes its new home and grows big and fruitful. It's a double tree - sprouted out of two seeds I put together in the earth. And both of those avocados the seeds came from were outstanding - which of course is why I saved the seeds and planted them.
Then I took a much-needed shower and started on lunch....we had macaroni and cheese with three cheeses and a bit of butter. The mac n'cheese was good, but also good were the deviled eggs on the side - with chile piquín instead of paprika! And of course there was lentil soup but who had room for that after the macaroni and the deviled eggs?
Then I got to work on those videos... and got the VHS ones done. Now all I have left to organize are the DVDs... (sigh!)
Came back to the translation to work some more and get my afternoon cuota made, started this blog, and now I'll end this for a bit. Gotta go get my stuff ready for school tomorrow. I forgot about my last promise - get to bed by 11:30. That's always hard for me to do on a Sunday night. It's 9:00 now...
Okay, finished with my school stuff, and am posting this now: 10:45!
So maybe the muffins really helped me stop procrastinating... for this weekend anyway! But the question is, will I really go to bed now? A good movie is waiting to be watched now that I've finally got everything done!

6 comments:

Alex said...

I love your muffins, I love you name your muffins after something in particular, I want to do that now!! it is just too cute. and I DO love your sons helped you out planting your tree!! I hope you have a lovely week!

minshap said...

Ale, you definitely have the perfect type of imagination for naming your recipes. I'll be waiting to hear the names you dream up! And I'm sure your son will always help you out when he gets big enough! (smile)Thanks and hope you're having a lovely week too!

Anonymous said...

peace muffins, promise muffins...what "p" will be next??!!
They sure looked particularly pleasing!!!

minshap said...

dun4: Hmm... hard to 'p' sure...

Fned said...

hahahah Loved this post!!! But probably for the wrong things! I LOVE to have a To-DO list and then, when the day is finally over, look back and realize I scratched off all of the items of the list! (don't ask why but) it reminds me of that sentance at the end of one of the Anne of Green Gable books:

"God's in Heaven, all's right in the world"

Fned.
(and yeah, those P-muffins sure looked delish!)

minshap said...

Fned: I know how you do love making lists, and checking things off!! I too feel good when I've done what I started out to do. Just hope I won't always need muffins to help me get it done!