Thursday, February 28, 2008

No Better Butter

When I came to Mexico, there were several taste adjustments I had to accept. In some cases it meant giving up a certain food altogether, since I couldn't find the special taste I was looking for: i.e. NO VANILLA yogurt! In other cases, the choice was between an inferior taste or an exorbitant price (i.e. chocolate). Thus, I learned to make do with what there was, accept the inevitability, and move on to other things. This was in the late 70's and most of the 80's, before the market started to open up.

Then came the signs that Mexico was practically annexing to the US. Suddenly, and once begun, increasingly, there were American products on the shelves at the supermarket. The old Conasupo was ousted by "Bodega" and later "Mega" versions of supermarkets and those in turn were ultimately shaken by the coming of Walmart and Sam's, etc. etc.

Here's the thing - when the market in Mexico was still limited and I couldn't get the products I loved from home, it made going for a visit that much more anticipated, as in: "oh, when I get there, I'm going to have a delicious snack of vanilla yogurt!! Or a reese's chocolate peanut butter cup!! Or some REALLY GOOD BUTTER for my bread!!! Once things opened up, thanks to NAFTA and globalism in general, the longing for a certain taste has almost become a thing of the past... or has it?

Take the following for example: After so many years of making do with strange-tasting margarines and butters, the arrival of ICBINB to our supermarket shelves was for me a big thrill. Toast with butter and jam in the morning was once again a delicacy! Baked potatos dripping with melted butter became a more standard part of our menu!

But last week, the price for ICBINB was suddenly WAY TOO HIGH! UNACCEPTABLY HIGH!! I do have my limits when it comes to spending money on food, and there's no way I was going to pay double for a product that's not even really an essential and certainly not the healthiest of foods! Better to spend less money and be all the healthier for it.

Upshot of the story: I am back to the taste adjustment thing. I had it good for awhile, but seems like price hiking is getting serious. I don't know how these big supers and bodegas are going to keep stocking and selling their goods, since we who buy are not seeing any great raises in our wages! Are we going to end up in a situation like the horror of the 80's - where you never knew what anything would cost from one day to the next? Hope it doesn't go that far this time, but the way things are looking, I'd have to repeat Fned's motto: "hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst".

5 comments:

Fned said...

I know what you mean: I SOOOOOOO miss having Valentina and Frijoles Refritos, I often crave for it like a junkie craves for his next fix.

I found a little store that sells Valentina (smuggles it from Mexico) but they go at 10EUR for 1 bottle!!! (And it's not even the Negra Valentina!!)...

From time to time I will cave in and buy a bottle or two but in the end, it go so fast that it makes you want to save it "for special occasions" and then, where's the fun?

Fned.

P.S. Prices here on all diary products have skyrocketed too! It has the french REALLY worried and you don't want to mess with the french when it comes to their beloved Camemberts and Roqueforts... :D

Fned said...

No comment:

http://fnedsblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/ive-been-tagged-and-cornered.html

Bisous.
Fned.

Theresa in Mèrida said...

We buy imported butter at Mega. New Zealand and Danish. I save it for things that have butter added to it. Like toast or veggies. I cook with Mexican butter, like if some is fried in butter or butter is part of the batter. It is a good compromise for us since we really use very little of it.
regards,
Theresa

minshap said...

Theresa, I know what you mean... when I first came to Mexico, a lot of people I met (Mexicans) did the same thing and I tasted the canned butter then. Later I also bought the New Zealand one, but it's very hard to spread for one thing, and besides, having kids around that eat up everything you buy as soon as you buy it is definitely a deterring factor! But I'm on my way out to the store now, so who knows, maybe I'll give take you up on your idea!

Theresa in Mèrida said...

I used to hide the "good" butter in the freezer behind the frozen vegetables.
My son was a butter eater too, so we used to give him his own butter,and when it was gone he was S.O.L (sooooo outa luck).
Now it's just my husband and I but I still put the butter in the freezer.
I have never seen the canned butter.
regards,
Theresa