Saturday, July 5, 2008

Day 25: The Controversial Tree

It's a Long and Winding Tree

The window in my study looks out onto a huge "Dollar Tree"; that's how the tree in question and pictured above is known around these parts. I love this tree. As I'm tapping away at the keyboard, I just have to turn my head to the left and there it is, its silvery leaves (hence the reference to silver dollars in the name) shaking softly on their branches, making their characteristic rustling sound (almost like music) in the breeze.

The Dollar tree is known for its devastating roots. They are supposedly shallow roots, unstoppable in their quest for underground territory, which means that over time, they break through the foundations of anything built near the tree. There is some evidence of this, as a small section of our patio has been uprooted and we've had to dig under it, chop through the roots there, and close it back up. According to Car, there is evidence that the roots are trying to get through the cement floor of the utility room, which is the closest to the tree. I haven't noticed any bulging in the floor yet, but I'm willing to wait and find out, because I certainly do not want the alternative Car proposes, which is:

Chop down the tree!

NO!! ABSOLUTELY NOT!! ARE YOU KIDDING?? NO WAY!!

So far, I've managed to keep him from doing it, but if the roots start to come through the floors of the house, I don't know... keep your fingers crossed that we find another way to deal with the situation if the time comes!


No comments: