Saturday, July 12, 2008

Day 29 - CLo's an Adult!

coming of age!



Not a self-portrait, not even about who she is, but the artwork is hers - CLo's. And since this is her b'day - her 18th no less! - I've decided to post one of her works...
Of course, today is not her b'day because today is not really day 29 - I've gotten pretty far behind on the 30-day photo log, you see... but the real day 29 was her birthday, and that's what counts!

I've since dubbed it "la triste historia de un cumpleaños no festejado" because the actual moment of celebration never quite got off the ground! There was reference to it... there was a lot of inter-communication about when it would be, what would be done and eaten, and even the hour... but things just kept coming between us and our objective!

NOTE: In this house, we celebrate in a very simple way: somebody makes the cake (or buys it if it's not one of our recipe cakes or if there's no time to make it) on the actual day, then we all come together in the evening, put some candles on it, serve it with or without icecream, coffee/milk, and sit around the table taking pictures and talking about whatever... no big deal, just the family members and maybe a friend or two who happened by... key words here: on the actual day, as in: very spontaneous!

BUT ON THIS BIRTHDAY:

There was the fact that I could not find a chocolate cake, which was the specified wish of the b'day girl, and then the birthday girl herself couldn't be home for the festivities at the hour we had first designated, which of course didn't matter because a) there was no cake at that time and b) I had to rush to the sports center to take the final pictures for my article - the game was announced at the last minute and it was to be the last game of the tournament, so if I wanted pictures I had to be there... and that didn't matter either, since we had no cake! As a matter of fact we figured it was a good thing because Lu could drop me off, go get a cake and pick me up and we'd be back before CLo got home (we thought).... but it didn't work out like that either because a) the game was still in the 2nd quarter when I got there (it was supposed to be ending at that time!) and I had to wait till the end to get the pictures of the teams... and b) Lu couldn't find a cake shop that was open or an open one that had a chocolate cake...

After a few few rounds of TMs in search of cake shops, Lu finally found a cake; by that time, I had my pictures! He came by for me and we went home... only to find that CLo was just getting home too, it was much later than we'd planned, and everyone was either too tired to do the whole cake-thing (it was a weeknight after all), or already asleep! So we put it off till the next day... and by then it was just not the same! Moral of the story: when there's a birthday to be celebrated - DON'T PUT IT OFF! JUST DO IT!
one last note: don't feel too bad for the b'day girl - she has celebrated QUITE NICELY with friends and family THE WHOLE WEEK!!!! The cake might have bombed but the shopping for her upcoming trip and partying with friends have pretty much made up for the lack of our normal routine!

1 comment:

Theresa in Mèrida said...

I like your birthday tradition. Send me an email and we'll see about getting together when you come to Merida. There is an email link on my blog profile. I normally check it about once a week or so, but I'll check more often.
regards,
Theresa