Sunday, July 20, 2008

New Project - Tomato Garden (2nd Attempt)!

DAY 1: Starting anew! I've cleaned out the tremendous over-abundance of weeds (see picture), and made my rows - 4 of them - for this second attempt at growing tomatoes. I'm still not sure if anything will come up, as I haven't done some of the prep work I've been reading about. I can't help it - I am too impatient to get those seeds into the ground!!


I figure the soil is still pretty much fertilized after the last time. And by weeding so thoroughly in that section, I tilled and turned over the earth pretty well. I planted 2 rows of tomatoes - one row on each side - and chile serrano and cilantro in the two inner rows (see picture below). I got completely mosquito-bitten, my pants and shoes got pretty dirty, my back hurt by the end, but my hands were more or less saved by the use of heavy gardening gloves.




Now I've got the patch all watered and seeded (see photo above), and what's the next step? I'm gonna have to FORCE MYSELF to check on this little garden 3 times during the next week... the way the weeds grew the last time, I need to be on top of that, and pull them out before they overrun everything again (I did find (but couldn't save) two cilantro plants in all those weeds!) My goal is to see some tomato, chile, and cilantro plants in each of the rows by August 17th (four weeks). If you've got any suggestions to help me get there, please don't hesitate to enter them!

And now: GET THIS:

ANYONE WHO READS THIS ENTRY UP TO THIS POINT IS HEREBY "TAGGED" FOR THE FOLLOWING:


1 - For a period of 4 weeks, you must work and report your progress on a project of your own choice, documenting the results as they occur.


2 - You can take the time you need to decide on your project and then you write an opening "DAY ONE" description, with an introductory photo, and your expectations for the end-result.


3 - If you are "in" (oh please say you'll do it!), you need to leave word in the comments section so we all know who we are and then we can all keep track of each others' progress and offer support, advice, links that could help or whatever.


4 - Each week, you will post three times (whichever days you want, but three times a week) with photos showing progress. Or simply a description of what has developed since the previous post. You can give a shout out for help or moral support in these posts, or you can brag all you want, or whatever! If you post three times a week, you'll have a total of 12 posts showing the progress and final accomplishment, but hell, I'm no slavedriver; post only once a week if that's all you can manage - just keep it steady!


5 - At the end of the 4-week period, we'll have a documented chain of events that has led us each, in our individual projects, from point "A" to point "B"! Something we can later look back on with a sense of satisfaction! If our projects don't seem to be coming out right, we'll know early on, and we can take steps to repair the situation. Maybe we'll even need more than 4 weeks, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.


6 - So are you in???? Let's do this!!! Pass the word so we can get a network of people working on something interesting for one month and sharing the outcome - as it happens - with others. Maybe someone will hit on a project that we can all contribute to from our different areas of the globe! Now that would be cool!


P.S. If you don't want to do it, I can understand... I just got so caught up in the idea of being able to work alongside others, each of us doing our own thing, but matching our paces and learning from each others' ways of doing things... I thought it would be so neat. But if you've done it before or if you don't have time, or if you don't have a blog to be able to blog your progress, or whatever the obstacle may be - maybe you just don't want to do it - well, I can understand and I'll just go on with my tomato garden and you're welcome to cheer me on in the endeavor or just observe with no comment... BUT I HOPE YOU DO COMMENT AND I HOPE YOU DO DECIDE TO DO IT!!!

4 comments:

minshap said...

fned, I know you'll happen by, and I know a lot of people read your blog, (which is how I found a bunch of blogs that I now keep up on but don't necessarily comment on), so if you like the idea, be sure to "correr la voz" cause I'm sure that YOU, as well as Canuck, Mexpat, MexWay, Jonna, Theresa, RitaMae, HeatherinParadise, Mamacita Chilena, Ale, the Tabasqueña in UK (who hasn't written lately), MissChris and That Girl, among others, would think up good projects. In fact, you all may actually have one going on, but I just don't know about it. Anyway, I remember, when I was writing my book, having a good friend writing her own at the same time really helped me keep on track. We both finished our books in about 6 weeks! Record time when you compare it to the time it took me to finish the second book, which was 2 years!!! Well, let me know what you think!

Fned said...

Hey mom, sorry I haven't been able to get back to you on this. I'm trying to think about a project on my side (not easy after having just finished the 30d one)....

I'll keep you updated! In any case, I'll definetly be checking the updates concerning the Tomatoes!!!

Fned.

Theresa in Mèrida said...

Hi Minshap,I am doing the nativity scene project. I haven't blogged about my work on my current doll. He has been a challenge and I am not sure if it's time to put him in the closet for awhile. Right now, I am beading his inner tunic, a time consuming project. So I will update my blog regarding my project but I don't know if I am up to blogging a lot about it... Oh, you might try pre-sprouting some seeds. Put them in a damp papertowel and see if they sprout. That way you will know if your seed is still good. Look online for a better discription of the process.
regards,
Theresa

minshap said...

fned - okay, can't wait to see what you come up with... probably will be travel-related!!!
theresa - ooooh, hope to see a picture of that tunic or the complete doll, or the complete scene sometime! (will check right after finishing this). About sprouting, yes, I had just come to that conclusion myself! though I'm doing it in cotten wads... meanwhile, we've had tons of rain lately so am keeping my fingers crossed and checking the garden.