Monday, June 9, 2008

30-day photolog - DAY 1

Window cubbyhole going up the staircase


Wow! what a great idea! Thanks so much Fned, and thank you too MissChris, who by the way, shows an incredible wealth of creativity and savoir de la vie in her blog... I think it's an excellent way to chronicle and later remember a month of your life. So here's day 1.

First, though, a little background; I've been dragging myself around waiting for the rainy season to begin, and finally, FINALLY, we've started to have those daily afternoon black-cloud-buildup and subsequent pouring rain. It started on Thursday, and we've had some rain every day since, so today, I went out and planted my tomatoes! I've had the plot ready since late April, anticipating rain "any day now" all during May.

Alas! When I went out to plant the tomatoes, I realized my camera batteries were dead and I wouldn't be able to take a picture for this photolog! So, I've decided to put in a picture of another plant... not a tomato, but one of my indoor plants.

You can't see it in the picture, but nearby is another maceta that has some tomato seeds embedded as of today!

Oh yeah, and if anyone knows the name of this plant, please advise!! I've forgotten what it's called!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like a caledium, and very pretty, too! thanks for sharing...

Fned said...

Ooh ooh cool mom!! When can do this together!!! ;)

Don't know what the plant's name is though... the only plant I can recognize is the savila. :(

Fned.

minshap said...

S: I think you're right... I knew it started with a "C" or a "K"...
Fned: well, don't expect my pics to be anything as far-reaching as yours! I'm lucky if I get past the path outside my house to take a picture!

Theresa in Mèrida said...

Ummm, it's a coleus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleus not a caladium http://www.caladiumbulbs.com/cat/1/ I like the way the pink of the house brings out the colour of the leaves.
regards,
Theresa

minshap said...

Theresa: thanks for the clarification. Just to check though, the interesting feature of this plant is that, if you put it in the sunlight, the leaves will be mostly green with only pinpoints of pink - and if you keep it totally in the shade, the leaves will be dark red with only the outline of each leaf retaining the green color. In my case, the plant is in a place where it receives both sunlight and shade... so if that coincides with the attributes of a coleus, then coleus it is!

minshap said...

Yes, it's a coleus! Just looked it up... don't know why it took me so long to do that!