Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Day 9: Annual Check-up

Finger-prick blood test


Today I finally went and got my "annual" check-up. Actually, yesterday I went to the Seguro Social, just to see if the procedure was still the same, since the last time I went was almost 2 years ago. Naturally, they told me that, since our family clinic consulting hours are in the afternoons, I would have to come in the afternoon. But I was my nicest and sweetest and most earnest self as I pleaded with the jefa for permission to get the check-up done in the morning hours when I have a three-hour lapse between classes on Tuesdays. She said okay, so today I went. And I must say, I was delightfully surprised by the noticeable changes in the whole experience.


The Seguro Social is not recommended by many. In the same way that most people here will tell you that public schools leave a lot to be desired and they would do everything they could to make sure their kids got into a private school, so they will also tell you that the Seguro Social is only to be used as a last resort. They would rather spend their money on private hospitals and clinics, than go to the Seguro Social.


However, I have always preferred the SS over other alternatives, mainly because it's there, it's certain, and I hate searching for doctors! Today I was actually impressed with the service! I arrived at close to 10:00 a.m., thinking it would be swamped with people and that I would wait in an interminable line. Thus, I came prepared with a book to read, some German homework to do, and my new cellphone manual to pore over as I waited.


Lo and behold, although there were quite a few people, they were waiting at other doors, so I was the second person in line at the door I needed. I had exactly enough time to finish my German homework before I was called in.


The girl who took down all my history was friendly, quick and efficient. She was visibly impressed when, in answer to her questions about births and birth control methods, I told her 5 births, all natural, and that I'd used every type of birth control on the market, respectively. She laughingly remarked that she could see why I'd finally opted to have my tubes tied.


When she had cleaned my fingertip with alcohol and was about to prick it for the glucose test, I whipped out my phone and said, "Wait! I want to get a picture of this!" She asked why, and I gave her an abbreviated explanation about the 30-day photoblog. "It's either the glucose test or the pap smear," I said, and she laughed and let me take the picture.


After the blood test, I was weighed and measured, got my blood pressure taken, had the breast exam and pap smear. Everything was done smoothly in an examining room that was clean and ready for business. By 10:15, I was finished and getting back into my clothes. When I came out of the bathroom and picked up my bag and books, there atop my Seguro Social appt. card was a strip of condoms! I held it up and looked quizzically at the young woman, who shrugged and shook her head as if to say, "I know, but it's policy."


With a final conspiratorial smile, I said, "Okay, no problem! I'm sure my sons can use them."




3 comments:

Fned said...

DO THE WORDS "TOO MUCH INFORMATION" MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU??????!!!!?????

j/k... that was hilarious mom.
Fned.

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Almost felt like I was right there with you! (whew, glad I wasn't,tho!)
You should be feeling very accomplished...got your exam AND a gift for your boys, all in one trip!
S :)

minshap said...

Yes, I'm sorry fned for giving you TMI, but luckily, you did see the hilarity of it in the end! And isn't it nice to think that the Seg.Soc. is getting so cool?
S - glad you could appreciate the humor of the situation! Next med. venture - the eye doctor!!!