Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day 2 - Marushka


I have always loved the Matroyshka nesting dolls from the first time I got to open up a set and see all the little sisters standing in a row - I think my grandparents must have had a set at one time or another, or maybe it was when my sister went to Russia and brought a set back. Anyway, I knew them as Marushka dolls (and interestingly enough, Marushka is my sister's Russian name), but I've never really known much about their origin until now! As you can see in the picture here, I have a set - although unfortunately you cannot see the four little sisters of Ana, who is portrayed here. The problem was, I couldn't get the dolls to close once I'd taken them all out - they close up fine inside each other, but when they have to stand alone, the threads don't want to mesh right. Maybe it's symbolic (see the story of Ana) or maybe the constant rain* is affecting the wood! At any rate, I'll try to get another shot of the all the sisters (this set has five) on another day.

Meanwhile, what I want to say about these dolls is how I got them - it was in a trade! As I recall, it was a trade with Fned, but I can't remember what she got from me in exchange. I seem to recall that it was a piece of jewelry, but I must say that I think I got the best part of the trade. Isn't she a doll????
* I am not complaining about the rain... yet!

5 comments:

Fned said...

Gloups! I can't remember what I traded them for either!! I can't even remember where I got the Marushka!!!

Diet coke really does affect the brain cells.

Fned.

minshap said...

Uh-oh... diet-coke-induced memory lapse! Well, if you don't remember either, then maybe it was somebody else! Though who else has traveled as extensively as you?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.