Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day 3 - On the way Home

Driving home this evening, I saw the Popo, smoking from its peak and surrounded by swirling white clouds. I pulled over to the side of the periférico twice to try to get a shot of it with my phone camera, but I knew the photos wouldn't come out right, as all the white clouds and smoke blotted out the volcano itself with their blinding, sun-dazzled brilliance.

What I should have taken a picture of was the sight of other drivers having stopped their cars too, and gotten out to just feast their eyes on the view. Right in the middle of the periférico! Truly brave we were, with cars and trucks whooshing past at going-home time from work.

So, I started up the car and zipped back into the traffic without having gotten a good shot and then, as I exited from the periférico, I realized that I was now facing the Popo head-on as I began the last stretch to home. The sun was fast going down behind the volcano by then, so I looked for a place to get off the Libre, and snapped what you see here. Click on it, and you'll see what I mean about the Popo's majesty... though in the end, I guess you just had to be there.


Meanwhile, I want to add a P.S. for yesterday's picture - I couldn't show the complete Marushka set, but now I can, so here it is:

That's the five sisters and Mario...

4 comments:

Fned said...

Ooh! I like that picture but STOP GETTING OUT OF THE CAR ON THE PERIFERICO MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's so dangerous!

(anyone else having a Freaky Friday déjà vu?)

Fned.

minshap said...

Yeah, I know what you mean, but actually, they have widened the periférico and there is actually a shoulder now! So you can pull over with relative security. Like I said, I wasn't the only one stopping along the way to look at that view. And to be perfectly truthful, I was too chicken to get out of the car. I took the picture from inside with the window rolled down.
(Very funny about the freaky friday analogy!)

Anonymous said...

What a great shot! (didn't look like much traffic, but still glad you didn't get out of your car, if it's that dangerous!) I also LOVE the 5 sisters (and Mario!!) They're so C U T E :)

minshap said...

oh, S - that was AFTER I GOT OFF the perifèrico (it's the loop around the city). By that time, I was on the carretera federal, and that one, at that time, is not so heavily transited, though there was traffic; I just waited for the right moment to snap the picture! **oh you noticed Mario Bro.? He fits right in there, no?