Saturday, June 21, 2008

DAY 12: Some things never change

Dishes done

Went out and about taking pictures this morning and last night, and the photo of the washed dishes is the best. It looks so homey - so efficient, so warm and optimistic. It modestly proclaims: 'Here are people who have it all together! They cook huge meals and clean up so nicely! Nothing is too much for them! They've got everything under control.'

And if you believe that, you've never spent 1 minute at our place. What I should have done was take the picture last night, when I came home from a concert. The person who's turn it was to wash dishes had received an invite to go out and had left without washing them. The kitchen was a horrendous mess. Did I clean it up? Are you kidding? At 2:00 in the morning? When I had to contend with an irritated husband who wanted to know why I'd come back so late? (which sure made me feel young - yeah, like a 16-yr.-old trying to defend herself to dad!).

No way! I took my pillows and went to get comfortable on the couch. But then the younger generation began to arrive home. They have the right to stay out late, you see! The first one home was Clo, and she went to bed, but then Lu, the awol dishwasher, got home. Naturally, he promised to wash in the morning...

So we all eventually slept, and this morning, we actually did get some work done in this house. Though, Lu did not do the dishes - it was Clo! She did a nice job! And now they're preserved forever, all washed and drying in the morning sun that slants across them through the window.

I keep telling myself things will change; we will get organized around here... I just wish I could believe it!

No comments: